Nigeria Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo who has been visiting camps of Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs in the North east as well as paying sympathy visits to victims and survivors of Boko Haram insurgency raised alarm on Thursday that the insurgent group is planning to bomb his residence.
Osinbajo disclosed on Thursday that security reports have uncovered plot by insurgents to bomb his house in an address at themeeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) which he chaired. at the State House, Abuja, Osinbajo said the insurgents plot includes use of scavengers to plant the bombs.
A resolution of the meeting made available to journalists however was not specific on which of the residence of the VP is being targeted by the terrorists.
The resolution was circulated by the council secretariat after the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, has briefed journalists.
Ambode was joined in the briefing by three other states’ governors namely — Solomon Lalong (Plateau), Atiku Bagudu (Kebbi) and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu).
The VP official residence in Abuja is highly secured by security agencies and off limits to scavengers.
The resolution of the meeting, however, did not detail the exact house of the Vice-President being targeted by the terrorists as his official residence at the Aso Rock Vill
“The Vice-President regretted that the insurgency has affected the economic life of the north east and the country as a whole.
“He called for the Council to speak as a teem to put pressure on the Service Chiefs to increase their effort in fighting insurgency.
“There should be increase in sensitization and education channels like radio, television.
“The Vice President also disclosed that security reports has it that scavengers are now being prepared by insurgents to dump refuse laden with bombs in the house of the Vice-President,” it was stated in the resolution.
It was also stated in the resolution that deliberations on insecurity in parts of the Northeast and updates were presented to NEC by governors from that region.
“Governors from the northeast and north west presented updates on the issue of insurgency in the north east and other criminal activities like cattle rustling and banditry in the north west.
“Governors of Yobe, Borno, Taraba, Kaduna, Gombe, Plateau and Bauchi took turns to inform the Council of security concerns in those regions.
“On Boko Haram issues, Governors of Yobe and Borno raised alarm that five local government areas of the two States still being in possession of the insurgents.
“They called for increase in military deployment and provision of sophisticated military equipment in those areas.”
The meeting also heard that Boko Haram insurgents are still hiding in the Sambisa forest, where the military had previously tried to flush out using aerial bombardments.
Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai also informed the NEC that most of the cattle rustlers were in Kumuku national park, which “if not properly handled could result to another Sambisa forest.”
The meeting was told that security effort is being set up to deal with this situation. Osun State governor, Rauf Aregbesola, suggested that special economic angle should be introduced in addition to military intervention to deal with the Boko Haram problem.